Club archivist Roger Stevenson has been digging around and has supplied some news snippets from ‘back in the day’.
Using issues of “Striders News” from almost 10, 20 and 30 years ago.
Striders News No 188, Jan / Feb 2005
- Australian marathon runner Phil Sly won the 2004 Percy Pud in 31 – 30
- 1st lady was GB Commonwealth Games Marathon finalist Debbie Robinson finishing in 33 – 53 .
- Sheffield MP Richard Caborn finished in 52 – 20 .
- 4 Sunday Special training runs advertised starting from Kiveton, Dungworth, Grenoside and Crosspool.
- Striders Burns night 30th of January at the Red Deer on Pitt Street.
- News of the closure of Pinegrove Country Club off Wood Lane at Stannington, once an extremely popular venue from which the club ran from and socialised in
- 2nd placed Senior Male in the 2004 Road Race Championship was Phil Howson, with James Hunter 3rd
- Striders Vets were 1st in the 2004 Leeds Country Way Relay.
Striders News No 128, Jan / Feb 1995
- 700 runners took part in the 1994 Percy Pud
- 1st Strider was Dennis Crossland in 11th place in 33-14. Dave Parry 86th in 37-19. Dave Beech 149th in 39-10. Mary Craig 222nd in 41-39. Luigi Cazzato 265th in 42-40. Stewart Robinson 313th in 43-51.
- 3 Christmas training runs from Pinegrove. 28th & 30th of December & 1st of January.
- The Bochum exchange group for 1995 were to meet on the 19th of January at the Three Cranes Pub on Queen Street.
- Indoor Track event at Don Valley on January 22nd.
- Sheffield 10K in 1995 will have to be re routed so as not to cross the Supertram track.
- A group of Striders continue to meet on the 2nd Friday of each month at the Pitz Soccer Complex off Woodbourn Road for 5 a side soccer.
Striders News No 18, January 1985
- 1985 AGM held at the Manchester Hotel on Nursery Street
- Christmas party on December 21st last, held at the Central Deaf Club on Surrey St
- News of a new Striders event, a team relay race around the popular circular canal holiday cruising route known as the ‘ Cheshire Ring ‘
- 13 Striders took part in the 1984 Barnsley Marathon
- 3rd Boxing Day fun Run took place with participants in fancy dress.
- One of 4 Striders Cross country races to be held at Shirecliffe on February 3rd
- Quote of the month – Hey Rachel, how about running the Steel City mile. Rachel answers ‘ how far is that ?