As we previewed a number of weeks ago, the four race SYCAA 5 Mile Road Race series starts on Wednesday 8th April. Here are full details including locations, directions and how to enter.
*** COMPLETELY FREE FOR MEMBERS ***
As detailed in our club benefits, Steel City Striders are paying for all your entries into all 4 races (as per every year).
*** FOR EVERYONE ***
There are trophies for the faster lot, but the races are for everyone and the races include the entire range of club runners from the very slowest men to the ladies bleeding eyes brigade.
*** GREAT ATMOSPHERE ***
Friendly competition from clubs all over South Yorkshire (and some scores to be settled within the club too I think!). Plus, a great chance for new members to meet up with other members, introduce themselves and potentially race for the first time. Get into the swing of it all.
Events for 2015 are as follows;
- Wed 8th Apr, Lodge Moor (part of the Striders 2015 Road Race Championship)
- Wed 22nd Apr, Wombwell
- Wed 29th Apr, Low Bradfield (part of the Striders 2015 Road Race Championship)
- Wed 13th May, Oxspring
All races kick off at 7pm sharp, so if you haven’t got a race number beforehand, please be sure to get there early to collect,. Tony Horstead will be there from around 6pm to dish out numbers.
You can run one, some or all events, it’s entirely up to you (but we recommend them all of course!).
You keep the same race number for the series, so look after it & don’t put it in the wash (there’s always one!)
When you get your race number it entitles you to a 15% discount at Up and Running, Sheffield. Much in the same way as detailed on our Club Discounts page.
Generalised postcodes for each venue:
- Lodge Moor: S10 4LJ
- Wombwell: S73 8FE
- Low Bradfield: S6 6LB
- Oxspring: S36 8YQ
Exact locations and directions can be found on the SYCAA website, please don’t rely on the postcodes, take a look at the SYCAA website for travel advice and parking recommendations, please don’t rely solely on Sat Nav.
The rules (there has to be rules I’m afraid)
- You have to be a member (1st or second claim) and have paid/renewed your subs for the year (we will have a naughty and nice list to check against)
- You have to be registered with the EA (normally done as part of your membership anyway, please make sure you know your EA number when registering).
- SYCAA rules state club vests are mandatory for every race
- No headphones are allowed as the roads are not fully closed. Whilst they are well marshaled they are not always free from traffic.
Although we can register people on the night, we would like to pre-register as many as possible, as it makes things so much easier on the night.
If you want to take part, please contact Tony Horstead (Competitions Secretary) via the contact form with the following info;
- First name
- Date of Birth
- EA number (contact Stewart Robinson, membership secretary via contact form if you don’t know yours)
We had a fantastic turnout last year, it would be fantastic to beat that this year.