Try us before you join
The club caters for all levels of runner, so even if you’re just starting out come join us.
You don’t have to join the club to come and try a training session, just come along and see what you think. We run sessions from Hillsborough, Heeley, Graves, Millhouses and Woodburn Road track each and every week. But if you enjoy it, why not join the club? You can join at any time of the year.
Membership is yearly, runs from 1 February to 31 January each year and needs to be renewed on 1 February no matter what time of year you first joined. Standard renewals are £30 per year.
New members can join from £50 with a free Steel City Striders running vest. Those joining late in the year can get up to 16 months membership for a reduced price.
- registration with UK Athletics (£15), providing various benefits, see UK Athletics website
- reduced race entry fees (usually £2 but sometimes up to £4) for nearly all UK Athletics affiliated races
- free entry to all the Striders club races and running events such as the 10km Championship Race, see full list of events below
- free entry to the 4 x South Yorkshire 5-mile Road League and 4 x South Yorkshire Cross Country League races (usually £10 for each of the leagues)
- free entry when representing the club in team events such as SYCAA Road Relays (normally £7 per runner), National Cross Country Championships (£7 per runner), Northern Road Relays (£5 per runner) and National Fell Relays (£12 per runner) etc
- Club London Marathon Ballot – a second chance to get a London place through the club
- free club vest for new joiners (£20) – see https://www.steelcitystriders.co.uk/buy-striders-kit-online/
- discounts with various club affiliates (see our discount page)
- a variety of free training nights across the city every week
As you can see when you break it down with the costs listed, Striders membership provides terrific value for money.
We also organise a full programme of free club events each year including:
- 10km Championship Race
- Road Race Championships
- Fell Race Championships
- Long Distance Strider
- Sheffield Way Relay and Ultra Race
- Dronfield Way Relay
- Salt Cellar Fell Race
- New Year’s Eve training run
These are often combined with social events as well as organised curry runs.
How to join or renew
All our membership applications and renewals are administered via SiEntries. This online system is simple, quick and secure.
To join the club please go to SiEntries and follow the instructions:
If you are already a member, you will receive an email explaining what you need to do to renew your membership.
Please be aware that membership applications are usually dealt with and processed within 14 days of payment being received and confirmed. But as everyone who deals with your application; Membership Secretary, Treasurer, Kit Sales etc are all volunteers who give their time for free, there may be a delay, especially during holiday periods. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Please direct any membership queries to membership secretary (Stewart Robinson) via the contact form