What is it?
A knockout handicap cup commencing in early January and ending before the AGM on 26th March (so we can hand out the winners prize that night).
Who came up with this?
Its the brainchild of Andy Davies, clever boy. 😉
Where and when is it held?
It will be held at 5 of Sheffield’s Parkruns over a period of 3 months.
How many rounds will there be?
5 or 6 depending on interest. 5 rounds = 32 runners, 6 rounds = 64 runners.
Round 1: 64 people
Round 2: 32 people
Round 3: 16 people
Quarter Final: 8 people
Semi Final: 4 people
Final: 2 people
Proposed dates (ties to be raced on any date noted for that round)
Round 1: Jan 3rd, 10th or 17th – Castle Manor Parkrun
Round 2: 24th or 31st Jan – Concord Parkrun
Round 3: 7th or 14th February – Rother Valley Parkrun
Quarter Finals: 21st or 28th Feb – Graves Parkrun
Semi Final: 7th or 14th March – Hillsborough Parkrun
Final: 21st March – Hillsborough Parkrun
How does it work?
Your name will drawn out of a hat against another Strider. The draw will take place at the Striders Christmas Night Out and videoed for later viewing. You then agree one of the 2 or 3 possible Saturdays for you to race in the Parkrun against each other (see above dates).
Hold on, what happens if I’m drawn against Dave Palmer?
Aaah, this is where it gets interesting.
When you enter the competition you have to submit your overall Parkrun PB. ie the fastest time you’ve ever run at a Parkrun, which doesn’t have to be any of the Sheffield Parkruns we’ll be using in the competition (use the RunBritain to search/check). Basically, your fastest ever Parkrun time regardless of wherever or whenever that was.
The difference between the 2 competitors PB will be automatically added onto the faster runner’s time.
The 2 competitors run in the same Parkrun and the winner is one who has the fastest time (with the added handicap time included).
Can you give me an example?
Phil Howson is drawn against Richard Pegg.
Phil’s Parkrun PB is 19.32
Richard’s Parkrun PB is 21.22
Thus 1 min 50 seconds will automatically be added to Phil’s time.
Scenario 1: Phil runs 20.16 Richard 22.16. Phil wins as the handicap would bring Phil’s time up to 22.06 but still faster than Richard’s.
Scenario 2: Phil 21.30, Richard 22.10. Richard wins as Phil’s handicap time would be 23.20.
What happens next?
The winner goes forward to the next round. The loser is, well, the loser.
What happens if my Parkrun time gets quicker?
The handicap system will be operational at the time of each draw, so if you get quicker during the cup, your handicap will change?
Why are we using 5 different sites?
Steel City Striders are all for supporting Sheffield’s lesser used Parkruns, hence the first round at Castle Manor Parkrun.
Do I have to run at the set dates?
Yes, but usually there are a choice of 2 or 3 Saturdays which to run each round.
How will we track progress?
Don’t worry, there will be a spreadsheet. 🙂
How do I enter?
Just send your name and contact details to Andy Davies via the Contact Form and declare your interest on the inevitable Striders Parkrun Knockout Competition megathread on the Striders Facebook Page. Contact numbers will be passed onto your opponent (in private) so that you can arrange the day for you to run.
Some FAQ now that the first round draw has been made
1. Your parkrun pb time for the purpose of the competition was submitted on Friday 5th December. There is now an Amnesty for pbs until the first round of the competition.
2. After the first round is completed, any new parkrun pbs, whether completed in the competition or not, will be included in the handicap system for the next round.
3. You must race on the same day as your opponent(s). The 1st round must be completed at Manor Castle Parkrun.
4. The draw for the 2nd round will be conducted after the Manor castle park run on the 17 th Jan in the cafe next to the car park.
5. If possible, Striders should wear club vests.
6. Park run timing will be official point of result service for the competition. In the event of the time keeping being grossly out or not recording, both competitors should reach an agreement.
7. Any Striders knocked out early on ( Phil Howson please pay attention), do not despair, as there will also be a shield one off competition to run, either the same day as the final or the week after TBC.
I’m sure I’ve not answered all your questions, but please don’t hesitate to contact me regarding any other queries. Contact Andy Davies (Wednesday night) via the contact form.